First, some of you already know that a couple of weeks ago Seth was riding a stationary bike and upon dismount noticed numbness and tingling in his hands, mostly finger tips and occasionally palms. The tingling has not gone away. He has had a follow up x-ray by request of his neurosurgeon but has been unable to contact him directly in regards to what his opinions are on the matter, with the exception of one really cryptic email via his secretary telling him to "take it easy." As if he has been doing anything but that! Our understanding is that there are really only two paths this could take us. One, it is just a growing pain caused by the spinal realignment that is happening as he begins to mobilize his neck and might eventually go away. Two, the disk in C-5 that is causing the numbness will need to be surgically removed so that it doesn't cause permanent nerve damage. This is the dark cloud that looms over us as we plan to return home in a month to no job and therefore no health insurance: enter massive knot in my stomach.
Second, our exit out of Zambia has become a bit more complicated for a few reasons. If the snags holding us in place can be removed. Then we will be packed out by October 15th and I will fly with my mom and the kids on October 17th. Seth will hopefully get a ticket for around that same time.
Third, while it feels like we will never be able to leave Zambia and our power to do so seems to slip through our fingers, our tentative plans for what to do when we get home are taking a more solid form. We will fly to California to recover for a few weeks at my Mom's house. Then after my brother's wedding in November we will head to Corvallis. Seth is interested in applying to Graduate School for the fall.
Seth and I had sweet blessings today at the Mission home. We know things will ultimately work out but if feels like we just can't catch our breath sometimes.