Wednesday, August 8, 2012

August 9, 2012 - from Caroline

The surgery went well. The plastic surgeon and general surgeon (Dr. Darchiev, my new bff) were able to remove the dead tissue and close the majority of the gap by stitching the two healthy walls of my heel together.  They did however have to leave a hole which I will get to see on Friday.  They are hoping scar tissue from the healthy walls on either side will fill in the hole…I am hoping so too! They also said there was no exposed bone and enough of the deep heel pad tissue to let worries about the bone rest.

They punished me for walking around on this sucker for the last three and half weeks by putting me in a cast. I was a little bummed to wake up to that but since my previous fear was that I would wake up to an amputated foot, it was a manageable disappointment.  However, I am bummed that the angle of the cast is super uncomfortable. They bent my foot inward and I am getting more pain from the top of my foot than from my chewed up heel.

The weight loss program continues as i had surgery at 8:30 AM, left the hospital at 6:30PM and was still nauseous.  Puked as soon as I stood up with my new speed crutches and then again in the car on the way home.  I weigh less than I did in high school - weird. I was reflecting on how unfair this  whole "bad reaction to general anesthesia" is too because when Katie had her wrist surgery, she ate breakfast at 8 went into surgery at 1 came out at 4 and I saw her eat a hamburger and ice-cream at 6pm.  I stopped eating at 7pm the night before and wasn't able to hold anything down until 7pm the night of…not fair!

Also, on the note of crutches…I will be taking applications for a Mary Poppins for my kids.  The doctor dropped two bombshells on me: 1. I am not to leave south Africa for four weeks. (This will be a point of negotiation on Friday at my appointment.) 2. crutches and no weight on my left foot for 6 weeks to a month (also to be discussed further on Friday).  So, this will severely be limiting my ability to do…everything, but most importantly, take care of my kids.

I don't want to seem ungrateful and I know there have been many miracles along this mess.  But sometimes, it just feels like right when we are about to step into the light at the end of the tunnel, the darkness grows out just a little bit further.  I am not sure how I will fly to Lusaka with Cali strapped to my back and Thomas' leash attached to the end of my crutches.  Should make for another good story.

love

c

2 comments:

  1. Woo Hoo! Blessings around every corner. It's a pity there are so very, very many trials requiring the additional help from above, but how wonderful to know that in your time of desperate need you haven't been forsaken.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The above comment was a reaction to the most recent post (about staying in the new location). No "Woo Hoo!" for having to throw up, feel sick, be in a cast, and be worried about your kids :)

    As for this post - THANK HEAVENS there was no infection in your bone and your foot didn't have to be amputated! Dodged a bullet on that one.

    As a mother I know how AWFUL it is to feel compromised in your ability to care for your family. You've been through more than I can imagine Caroline. So scary, taxing, and heart wrenching.

    Please know that there are many who love you and who are praying for you and wishing there was more we could do to help. Oh how I wish I could HELP.

    ReplyDelete

Click here to make a donation